Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Mind and Faith

The one line from the book that really struck me was Rabbi Saunders lamenting about his son, "Why did he have to be so brilliant?" as if intelligence is somehow an enemy of faith. For me personally, relating to people (or for that matter, God) has been a challenge for me all my life. I know a lot about Christian theology and Christian history. I have some understanding of how Christianity compares to other world religions, in the sense of how "our Truth" compares to "their truth." I have tried desperately to understand what makes Christianity's "One God" and Truth and teachings different from any other mainstream world religion, to develop an open and understanding world view, and it has left me a desperate agnostic. I had a lot of understanding for Rabbi Saunders at the end, talking about why "heart" was such a desperately important thing to have developed, and why an intelligent mind can so easily choke that out.

Foster Alley

No comments:

Post a Comment